As a kid, I loved the holidays, especially Christmas. I could barely fall asleep on Christmas Eve because I was so excited about seeing what was coming on Christmas morning. As time went on, things changed. As a college student, I lost that feeling. I attributed it to the mental exhaustion of completing final exams.
I remember posting to Facebook on Christmas Eve 2018 that I had never felt less in the Christmas spirit in my entire life.
You are not alone if you are feeling out of the holiday spirit. Here are seven ways to enjoy the holidays as an adult.
1. Give back. Giving back to your community is a great way to get into the holiday spirit. Try volunteering at a local church or animal shelter or purchasing food to donate to needy people in your area. Giving back can make you feel happy and boost the spirit.
2. Create. Paint a watercolor holiday picture or make handmade ornaments. Create handmade gifts for loved ones. You’ll get a sense of accomplishment when you finish a craft you worked on.
3. Watch holiday movies. There are a lot of amazing holiday films, from The Polar Express to Olive, the Other Reindeer. Snuggle up with your favorite treats and a film and watch your cares melt away.
4. Look at local holiday lights. Take a ride in your car or go on a walk with family members. Look at the different colors and shapes of the lights. You’ll be delighted by the beauty and feel less blue.
5. Make holiday treats. From Christmas cookies for Santa Claus or Latkes for the occasional Hanukah dinner, you’ll enjoy the tasty smells while preparing the treats. You’ll also love eating them!
6. Create a holiday-themed playlist on Spotify. Whenever you’re feeling stressed at work or whenever preparing for holiday events, turn on the music and feel the stress melt.
7. Do random acts of kindness. Sneak a letter into your neighbor’s front door. Leave a candy cane and a kind note on a stranger’s car in the parking lot of the grocery store. Taking a few seconds to be kind to someone will brighten your day—and theirs.